Yesterday Sandy, Megan and Ethan took part in the 35th Anniversary Awaya-Kai Koto Charity Concert. It is a celebration honoring the beautiful music, song and dance of traditional Japanese culture. Sandy belongs to the Awaya-Kai Koto Conservatory and has been playing the koto since she was 5 years old. This year was the first time that our kids, Megan and Ethan got to participate in the concert. Needless to say, we were all quite excited. The concert was held at the Redondo Beach Performing Arts Center.
1) Chloe, Kenji, Ethan and Megan would be performing a song together.
2) It takes Sandy 45 minutes to get dressed in her traditional kimono and that's with the help of an assistant.
3) Sandy tunes her koto.
4) Ethan watches the rehearsal from the auditorium.
5) Chloe and Megan are now bff, but Chloe doesn't know it yet...
6) Awaya Sensei runs the ladies through a last minute rehearsal.
7) There's my Sandy.
8) Megan and Ethan put on their concert outfits.
9) Kenji is so cute with his captain hat.
10) Megan has started hanging out with sailors. Not sure if daddy approves of this...
11) Megan has her Ponyo plush toy.
12) Chloe will be the main singer for the kids' performance.
13) Ethan tries on his hat.
14) Patti mugs with the kiddies and Ponyo.
15) Jim Thompson plays the shakuhachi.
16) Ken Dekitani and Christopher Oba play the sangen.
17) Awaya sensei tunes her koto.
18) The concert begins!
19) The kids sing the theme song from Hayao Miyazaki's Film, Ponyo. I apologize for the shaky video. I shot this hand held with my camera while sitting in the audience.
20) Sandy performs A Maiden's Prayer.
21) Sandy performs Csikos Post.
22) Janet gets ready to perform her piece.
23) Bando Hidesomi performs a beautiful dance.
24) A traditional Japanese dance performance by the Bando Hidesomi Dance Group.
25) The Okinawa Dance by the Yonamine Keiko Dance Group.
26) Awaya Sensei leads her group in this piece.
27) Bill Crowley is the Master of Ceremony and also performs his own Rakugo which is the traditional art of Japanese comic storytelling.
28) Miyoko Hataye is the conductor of the Sakura Chorus.
29) The koto music and the Sakura Chorus perform beautifully together.
30) Ethan steps out on stage to present a bouquet to an honored guest musician.
31) Ethan makes the crowd laugh as he repeatedly bows to the honored guest musician and forgets to walk off the stage.
32) Megan presents Miyoko Hataye with a bouquet.
32) Cute little Kenji presents his grandmother (Awaya sensei) with a bouquet.
34) Sandy mugs with her coworkers.
35) There's my little boy.
36) Sandy's friend Charmaine flew in from a business trip just that morning to catch the performance.
37) Janet greets friends and family backstage.
38) Ethan charms the ladies.
39) Sandy and Maria.
40) Janet and Ed.
41) The beautiful ladies.
42) Sandy and her mom.
43) My beautiful family. Daddy was so proud of you all today.
- ► 2011 (14)
- ▼ 2010 (40)